Gallery

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Countess Bathory - Vampire of the Week #2



With the beginning of the new year, I always get anxious that I should have some small goal. I wanted to do something like a 'challenge' type thing, that would keep me posting new art to the blog more frequently. I looked around online for ideas, but ultimately what I decided to do is a project I've been thinking about for about two years or so. I wanted to do a collection of vampire characters throughout cinema. Sooo, after last weeks post, I started sketching out other screen vampires. I originally had intended to do 'Count Yorga', but my drawing still needs more work. So instead, I present Countess Bathory from 1971's 'Daughters of Darkness'. I caught this film on Netflix a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it. I hope that I'll be able to do a new vamp each week, but that will all depend on how busy I am, and how successful my sketches are. I want to try to keep them all uniform in this style.

I also wanted to share this link to this really great documentary, 'Horror Europa with Mark Gatiss'. This is a follow up to his other fantastic documentary, 'A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss'. If you have some time (this is a full hour & a half), you should check it out. And one of the first films he talks about is the very one that I have depicted here today.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I think this is a great subject for you and a nice way to motivate yourself as well. I can't wait to see the next vampire.

    Thanks also for reminding me about the Mark Gatiss documentary. I'll have to make some time to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up. And hey, no shortage of source material.

    The Gatiss horror docs are great. I wish they would be released to DVD, but unfortunately that will probably never happen.

    ReplyDelete