Gallery

Monday, April 27, 2015

Six More Months till Halloween, Halloween, Halloween


Only six more months till Halloween! Unbelievable. Speaking of unbelievable, I actually finished a new piece of art. I've been drawing & crafting lately, but I just can't bring myself to sit in front of a computer for hours on end.
So here it is! My newest piece, the Silver Shamrock trick-or-treaters. This was an idea that I started working on in September of 2013. I wanted to do a sort of retro faux ad for Silver Shamrock. This was my first rough draft:


It's not very good. But, i wanted to get the idea down. Then I did a second rough sketch:
 

And a third:


Because I was moving to a new house in October of 2013, I didn't take part in the Halloween Countdown that year. But I decided that I would save it and use it as part of 2014's countdown. Well, that didn't happen. I did start an Illustrator piece, but I wasn't loving it. I had a bunch of other pieces to work on, so I just dropped it.

Last month I started thinking about it again and I decided to redraw it.


Look at all my hand gesture drawings at the bottom :P
I felt like this one was better, but I thought I might have one more go at it, which resulted in this:


I thought it would be interesting to include all these drafts. It's eye-opening for me to look at, just because I can see my style shaping and improving.

6 comments:

  1. I would normally say yay to Halloween being 6 months away but it has been a long winter and so far a cold spring :( But I do love your Trick or treaters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, It's so funny, as much as I love and get excited about Halloween, I hate winter. And I know that when Halloween gets here, winter is right around the corner.

      Delete
  2. Totally interesting to see the evolution. Sometimes some pieces just take forever to get right, but it was totally worth the wait. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought that the series of sketches leading up to the final would be a neat share. I TOTALLY did not expect to finish this one now, if anything I probably would have drawn it 3 or 4 more times before October. But it feels really good to get this one done. The time was just right I guess! :)

      Delete