Gallery

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Classic Horror/Monster Art Challenge! 6 Months In!

Ok, I posted about this earlier this year, and now I'm going to do it again. Over at the Classic Horror Film Board, artist/actor/writer, Frank Dietz started up the 'Classic Monster Art Challenge'. Every month he assigns a topic, and members are encouraged to share their artistic renderings of said topic. It is not a contest, merely an exercise and a chance to share work with other creative people. I'm always excited to see the newest topic & what other members have to contribute.
I have now been participating in the challenge for 6 months! And I have only shared 1 of those pieces here on my blog. So today is the big 6 month dump.

Here it is.... 6 months later....

Jan. 2009 – Reptiles! I did two. The Giant Gila Monster & The Reptile. The Reptile piece will be featured in an upcoming issue of Little Shoppe of Horrors magazine.



Feb. 2009 – Vincent Price. Posted before but here it is again. From 'Tomb of Ligeia'.


Mar. 2009 – King Kong! He's not very scary, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.


Apr. 2009 – Boris Karloff. The challenge was to draw Karloff in a role that wasn't Frankenstein or The Mummy. I picked 'Die Monster Die' from 1965.


May 2009 – Lycanthropy! Werewolves. Being a Hammer fan & Oliver Reed lover, had to go with 'Curse of the Werewolf' from 1961


June 2009 - The Mummy! While I am a huge fan of 'The Mummy' from 1932 and in particular the Ardath Bey character, I wanted to draw a proper bandaged mummy. So I drew Kharis from 1944's 'The Mummy's Ghost'. I had a good time preping myself for this drawing as I hadn't visited these Mummy sequels in a very long time. So I re-watched them all, trying to pick out something to draw. I did draw an Ardath Bey head, but I'll save that one for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment