Gallery

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Adventures in Polyester...



Not horror related, unless of course the idea of polyester bell bottoms frighten you. They don't frighten me.
I actually love 70's fashion. I have this great book that I picked up at a book warehouse a few years ago called '70's Fashion Fiascos'. Most of the photos are taken from catalogs from the 1970's.


It's a great book. Last fall, I picked up this book and started doing some sketching from it. Mostly for drawing exercise/practice, and I thought it would be fun. I did a few drawings, but at the time, didn't really have the time to put them into 'final processing'. This past week, I picked up the book again and did some more sketches from it. And tonight, I thought that I would just finish up one, just to see. I'm pretty happy with it, and it didn't take me that long to do. So I will probably end up doing a series of these. Watch out.

If you want to experience some real 70's internet fun, I highly suggest you check out 'Plaid Stallions'. It's awesome!!

2 comments:

  1. I may have done most of my growing up in the 80's (where we had our own fashion fiascoes), but I was old enough in the 70's to remember clothes like this.

    And I checked out Plaid Stallions---holy crow! I had a bunch of those beautiful, glorious toys: toys almost as big as I was, made of wonderful, heavy plastic and metal and gooey stuff!

    Shogun Warriors! Pulsar! Stretch Armstrong! That honkin' weird toy cow thing!

    So...many...memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Plaid Stallions is a fun place to go. I love that site! There's so much to see. In regards to clothing I recommend the 'Fashion Mockery' http://www.plaidstallions.com/fashion.html
    I laughed out loud, many, many times.

    I was around in the 70's, so I remember parts of it too. But it's been so long ago, it's almost like a dream...

    Oh yeah, and I WAS a fashion fiasco in the 80's, for real!

    ReplyDelete