Gallery

Friday, May 27, 2011

Happy 100th Birthday Vincent Price!


If the great Mr. Price were still with us, today would have been his 100th birthday. A few months ago, I was asked by 'Ghoulish' Gary Pullin if I would like to submit a piece of art for a Vincent Price tribute gallery that would be in Rue Morgue's May 2011 issue. Of course I said yes (!!!) There are so many Vincent Price performances that I love, I was having a difficult time trying to decide what I wanted to do. In the end, I decided to go with my favorite of the Poe/Corman films, 'Tomb of Ligeia'. This is a subject that I have done before in fact, back in 2009.



It's amazing to me to look at these two pieces, just to see how much my skills have improved in just two years. Even if I haven't been posting as much art as I did in my first year, I'm always sketching and drawing. And for the record, the 2011 Vincent, probably took me 3 times longer to create than the 2009 Vincent. You can see my original posting of the 2009 Vincent piece here. I also think it's funny that in that post, I mention that I wanted to do a piece based on his ghost story records, and that's what I ended up doing for the Vincentennial art show.

Here's a photo of me, peeking from behind the new Rue Morgue that has my Vincent piece in it!


I still haven't even had time to give my Wonderfest/Rondo recount here, I will try to get that together. Since I've been back I've been busy working on other stuff. One of those things is a step-by-step sort of tutorial kind of thing. I hope to have that ready to post soon.

5 comments:

  1. Kick-*ss piece, Belle! The improvement in style is remarkable and using the cat as a wraparound element was genius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, fantastic to see improvement from what I would have already considered brilliant! Slow down and give the rest of us a chance to get good!

    ReplyDelete