Gallery

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Horror Cons & Things

For the past three years or so, I've been doing commission work for a gentleman who lives in Florida. He goes to multiple conventions during the year, but the big one is Spooky Empire. That's the one I've consistently done pieces for. Every time he goes, I ask him to try to get photos of the people I've drawn, holding the art. So here's some of the photos from this year's event:

Alex from 'A Clockwork Orange'


And the man himself, Malcolm McDowell:


I don't know if you know how much this photo, thrills me, but it does. A great deal. I'd been thinking about doing an Alex piece for awhile (since the summer). This was the perfect opportunity for me to get it done. I was happy with the way this piece came out.


Then there was Butch Patrick as Eddie Munster:


Neat, eh? Drawing Eddie made me want to draw the other characters. And get The Munsters box set. Maybe I can make that happen before Halloween.


If you've been following the blog for a while, you've probably already seen the Herbert West 'Re-Animator' piece I did awhile back. Well, I sent along a print of this piece since Jeffery Combs was going to be there.


And I THOUGHT that I had posted my piece of little Damien from 'The Omen', but I can't seem to find it here on the blog. I'll have to try to post it some other time. I'm a huge fan of the original Omen, it's one of my favorite horror films. Here's Harvey Stephens, the original Damien.


On the same topic of conventions, last weekend I attended my first 'Horror Con'. I've been to conventions before; some comic book conventions, Wonderfest, Dragon Con. But I've never been to a convention that was just for Horror. I've always wondered what it would be like to go to a 'Horrorhound Weekend', Rue Morgue's 'Festival of Fear' or even 'Spooky Empire'. Well, my first experience was not all that eventful. I had planned on blogging about my trip last weekend, but there really wasn't that much to write about. I was there for about an hour and a half. It was late in the afternoon on Saturday and there weren't very many people there. I went to see Sid Haig do a Q&A, and none of my photos of him turned out. I met PJ Soles, and she was super, super nice! But the big highlight of the trip was meeting Ogre of the band Skinny Puppy. I'm a fan. I started listening to SP when I was 19, so I took along my vinyl copy of 'Rabies' to be signed. Here's some old photos of Skinny Puppy & Ogre.



And here's a more recent photo from an interview with him in Auxiliary Magazine.


And then there's this. *sigh*

Look at my face. Total goober going ga-ga! He was really nice. I could have fainted.

Ogre has appeared in two horror related films, 'Repo! The Genetic Opera' (2008) & 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams (2010).

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Belle... these are AMAZING!!! Sooooo Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure every one of those celebrities was impressed with your depictions of them. You rock.

    ReplyDelete