Gallery

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Halloween Foodage: Pumpkin Spice Syrup!


While I was out on Friday going to the craft stores, I noticed there was a new kitchen store that opened up next to the Michael's. I decided to go in and have a look around. Most importantly, I was going in to see if they sold filters for my toddy maker. I had to toss the last filter I had and it's been two years since I've been able to enjoy cold-brewed iced coffee at home. Well, lucky me, they did in fact have the filters!! I was super excited! Then I thought the coffee should be pumpkinny, or have some fall-ish flavor. I didn't want to drive all over town trying to find some place that sold a pumpkin spice coffee blend, so I had the idea to get online and find a flavored syrup recipe. And I'm so glad I did, it turned out great!

Here is the recipe that I used (from Pennies on a Platter, adapted from Cook Like a Champion):

Pumpkin Spice Syrup for Hot and Cold Coffee or Non-Coffee Drinks
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: About 2 1/4 cups syrup
Serving Size: 1/4 cup syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 cinnamon sticks
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (*note from me: I actually used fresh minced ginger here)
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
Heat the water and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is fully dissolved. Use a whisk to stir in the remaining ingredients. Turn down the heat to medium-low and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Try not to let the mixture come to a boil.
Place two thick paper towels on top of each other into a fine mesh strainer set over a large measuring cup. Strain the syrup through the paper towel lined strainer. (Cheesecloth and coffee filters work well here, too.) Pour the strained syrup into a storage bottle with a lid and keep in the refrigerator.

To make a hot pumpkin spice latte:
Stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons of syrup to each shot of espresso. Add frothed milk and stir to combine.

To make an iced pumpkin spice latte:
Stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons of syrup for each shot of espresso, then add desired amount of cold milk. Serve over ice cubes.

To make a pumpkin spice iced coffee:
Stir together 1/2 cup of milk to 1/2 cup toddy (iced coffee), then mix in 1/4 cup syrup. Serve over ice.

To make a pumpkin spice blended coffee:
Stir together 1/2 cup of milk to 1/2 cup toddy (iced coffee), then mix in 1/4 cup syrup. Pour into a blender, add 2 cups ice and mix until well blended. 



I had this with iced coffee & soy milk, but you could use it in hot coffee or hot chocolate, maybe pour it over ice cream. I was thinking it would be good used in a cocktail. I did want to mention that I tried straining the syrup, as recommended above, but I was having some trouble getting it to strain at a decent pace and my patience was growing thin. As you can see, there is quite a bit of sediment on the bottom here. It doesn't really bother me as far as drinking it goes. I just wanted it to be clear amber, so it would look pretty.


I've made simple syrups before, but hadn't even thought about making my own flavored ones. I can't wait to make all different kinds throughout the year.

Oh, and if you are wondering about the toddy maker, this is what it looks like:


They run about $35-45 in price. If you'd like to try making cold brewed coffee, but don't want to invest in a toddy maker, I found these instructions at Smart-Bottom Enterprises on how to make it without the maker.

1 comment: