Gallery

Monday, October 26, 2009

HP Lovecraft


When I did the EA Poe piece, I wanted to do a companion piece of HP Lovecraft. He was also great fun to draw as he, like Poe, has a very distinctive look. And I am also including three Lovecraft related clips for today.

First up, a trailer for HPLHS's (HP Lovecraft Historical Society) terrific film, 'The Call of Cthulhu'. Filmed in the style of a 1920's silent film, this is one of the best Lovecraft adaptations I've ever seen.




Next, still in the 1920's style, an animated short film by Peter Rhodes of 'The Other Gods'.



And last, a trailer for John Carpenter's 'In the Mouth of Madness'. While not based directly on any Lovecraft story, it is very 'Lovecraftian'. This is a film I re-discovered in recent years, and I think it's quite good at capturing the feeling of Lovecraft.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I completely agree with you on In the Mouth of Madness...gets panned by some people, but I do enjoy the feel of the story.

    Thanks for sharing the HP Lovecraft piece. I love it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Yes! 'In the Mouth of Madness' is great. I think I steered clear of it for a long time because of the bad reviews, but I when I finally saw it, I really loved it. Actually, I really enjoy all of the films that are John Carpenter's 'Apocalypse Trilogy'. 'The Thing', 'Prince of Darkeness' and 'In the Mouth..' are all really disturbing to me.

    ReplyDelete